Today our expert guest is John O’Leary, international best-selling author and host of the top-10 podcast Live Inspired. John helps people live amazing, inspired lives, and what he has to say is so timely during this period of time. There is so much pain, fear, and uncertainty in the world right now, but with John’s help, we’ll be better able to work through those feelings.
While John was sharing his story across the country, he noticed some extreme differences between speaking to adults and speaking to children. With adults, he would ask a question and get one or two hands up to answer. With kids, he would get every hand in the room. Kids are unabashedly willing to ask questions, but as adults, we stop asking questions. As he dropped his own kids off at school and saw them sprint into the school building, he wondered — “When was the last time I ran anywhere?”
Kids run into life — and. as adults, we lose that.
In his new book, In Awe, John unpacks the five senses that we used to have as children but that most of us lose as adults. The first of those senses are:
- Wonder: Kids ask questions all the time, but as we get older we get told to stop asking questions and to just follow orders.
- Expectancy: Every experience a kid has for the first time is amazing. We can live life with the expectation that things are going to be awesome, and they will be.
- Immersion: Whatever kids do, they are hyper-focused on that activity, while adults are focused on multitasking.
There is so much more to this that we can’t cover all of it here, but John will be back next week to go over the last two of the senses we lose and, most importantly, what we can do to help reclaim them.
Thank you for joining us on The Daily Helping with Dr. Shuster. Subscribe to the show on Apple Podcasts, Stitcher, or Google Play to download more food for the brain, knowledge from the experts, and tools to win at life.
- Learn more: johnolearyinspires.com
- Read: In Awe
- Listen: Live Inspired
- John O’Leary on Facebook
- John O’Leary on LinkedIn
- John O’Leary on Twitter: @JOLearyInspires
- John O’Leary on Instagram: @johnoleary.inspires
- John O’Leary on Pinterest
- John O’Leary on YouTube
- Ep. 75: A Life Lit From Within | with John O’Leary
The Daily Helping is produced by Crate Media