Today we’re welcoming back one of the most incredible guests we’ve had on the show, Tim Rhode. He’s the co-founder of GoBundance and co-founder and president of 1Life Fully Lived, a nonprofit that helps at-risk youth and adults emerge from hardship create a roadmap to their dreams, and ultimately lead their best lives. We’ve shared his story before, so if you missed that be sure to revisit Episode 89: 1Life Fully Lived: The Roadmap for an Abundant & Fulfilling Life with Tim Rhode to hear his whole journey. He’s also the co-author of Tribe of Millionaires: What If One Choice Could Change Everything? and The Quitter’s Manifesto: Quit a Job You Hate for the Work You Love, which we’re going to be talking about today.
We’re in the midst of two radical moments when it comes to work and finding our place in it: What people are calling “the great resignation” and the phenomenon known as “quiet quitting.” Long before either of those were on the lips of pundits everywhere, Tim had designed a framework for understanding how badly your current job or life situation is draining your life which he calls the “soul-sucking meter.” On a scale of 1-10, if you’re in the 8-10 range you’re doing something that serves you. But if you’re a six or lower, you need to take a good look at your situation. Here are some of the things to look at:
- Compensation: Are you being paid what you are worth?
- Respect: Does leadership treat you as an integral part of the team?
- Fit: Do you like who you work with?
- Growth: Do you have the opportunity to grow within the company?
- Feel: How do you feel every day when you wake up?
Before you get to the bottom of that meter, start early and look at the places where you aren’t feeling right and see what you can do to push those metrics up. And if it’s time to quit, we recognize that making that life change isn’t easy. What Tim recommends is building a “quit team” or people who will support you during this transition and who are affected by it, getting your finances in order as early as possible, and slowly moving forward without dropping your current obligations. It can be a difficult process, but it’s one that’s so important to get right.
The Biggest Helping: Today’s Most Important Takeaway
“Getting quiet and finding your geist, if you will, just your way of getting quiet and thinking about what’s most important to me. And I implore you to do that today.”
Thank you for joining us on The Daily Helping with Dr. Shuster. Subscribe to the show on Apple Podcasts, Stitcher, or Google Podcasts to download more food for the brain, knowledge from the experts, and tools to win at life.
- Learn more: 1lifefullylived.org
- Read: The Quitter’s Manifesto: Quit a Job You Hate for the Work You Love
- Read: Tribe of Millionaires: What If One Choice Could Change Everything?
- LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/tim-rhode-42660210
- Ep. 89: 1Life Fully Lived: The Roadmap for an Abundant & Fulfilling Life with Tim Rhode