Today our expert guest is Wade Lightheart, three-time Canadian national all-natural body-building champion who competed as a vegetarian and host of the Awesome Health Podcast. He’s one of the world’s premier authorities on natural nutrition and training methods. Having majored in sports science at the University of New Brunswick, he’s authored numerous books on health, nutrition, and exercise that are sold in over 80 countries. He also serves as an advisor to the American Anti-Cancer Institute and is the co-founder and President at BiOptimizers, a digestive and health optimization company.
With the way the world has responded to the coronavirus pandemic, there has been massive economic drawbacks and disruptions to people’s daily lives—which leads to a stress response in the body. We tend to look at stress as a bad thing, but if you had no stress in your life, you would die. So how much stress is enough, and how much is too much?
The idea behind BiOptimizers is to optimize your biology. When looking at people in the military, there was a clear divide between people who came out of the experience fine and others who experienced PTSD or other ailments. The big difference between the two was the biological difference to responses to fear or danger. When we are faced with information, displaced from the physiological activation of movement, we don’t break down and eliminate the stress chemicals in our body.
So, how do we increase our resilience to stress and balance “good stress” while avoiding “bad stress?”
- Remove artificial stressors from your life: Stop watching news or seeking out things on social media that produce fear and stress.
- Stop using screens or blue light devices 1-3 hours before bed, or at least start using blue light-blocking glasses.
- Maintain a form of exercise in your life.
- Get in the sunshine and reset your circadian rhythm.
Stress in life is not only unavoidable, but necessary for survival. What we can and should do is optimize the stressors that we allow into our lives as much as possible and avoid those that are wholly unnecessary.
The Biggest Helping: Today’s Most Important Takeaway
“You are bigger than the challenges that come to your life. Crisis is oftentimes an invitation from divinity for you to find the superself that lies within. You can overcome anything.”
Thank you for joining us on The Daily Helping with Dr. Shuster. Subscribe to the show on Apple Podcasts, Stitcher, or Google Play to download more food for the brain, knowledge from the experts, and tools to win at life.
- Learn more at https://bioptimizers.com/
- Awesome Health Podcast: https://bioptimizers.com/category/podcast/
- Get 10% off with code DAILYHELPING: https://bioptimizers.com/dailyhelping
- Take the FREE Awesome Health Course: https://bioptimizers.com/TDH
- Ep. 103: The Golden Age of Digestive Health | with Wade Lightheart
The Daily Helping is produced by Crate Media