We have a phenomenal guest today. Dr. James Kelley is the author of The Crucible’s Gift: Five Lessons From Authentic Leaders Who Thrive In Adversity. The book is based on his interviews from over 140 executives, ranging from Fortune 100 companies to entrepreneurs to everything in between. The Crucible’s Gift unpacks the journey a leader takes to become a more authentic leader, starting with their crucible moments.
In addition to writing, James speaks and conducts seminars on authentic leadership, and teaches at the United Arab Emirates University. He completed his Ph. D. in international marketing at the University of Western Australia, and ascended to higher education to work in Philadelphia.
James has led an incredible life all over the world, and I can’t wait for you to hear his story.
“It was in their moments of adversity where they learned the most about themselves, how they dealt with other people, what they needed, and what they could give to other people. Without that adversity, they weren’t able to see the light of those possibilities.”
Dr. James’ tips on cultivating Self Awareness:
- Cultivate mindfulness.
- Even 1 minute per day of quiet breathing per day
- Body scan in the morning
- Ask for feedback: “what do you love, and what would you love to see?”
- You won’t know your own blind spots until something big (negative or positive) occurs
- Investigate your own adversity moments
- Adversity forces you to create awareness.
The Biggest Helping: Today’s Most Important Takeaway
“Don’t let fear conquer you; conquer fear. Often, we let our emotional fear make the decisions for us. I think it’s really important that we acknowledge the fear, embrace the fear, but also make the harder choice that’ll make us a better human being.”
Thank you for joining us on The Daily Helping with Dr. Shuster. Subscribe to the show on iTunes, Stitcher, or Google Play to download more food for the brain, knowledge from the experts, and tools to win at life.
- Check out Dr. James Kelley’s podcast Executives After Hours on iTunes
- Read Dr. James Kelley’s book, The Crucible’s Gift
- Dr. James Kelley on Twitter: @kelleyjamesb
- Dr. James Kelley on LinkedIn
- Dr. James Kelley on Instagram: @drjamesk
- Dr. James Kelley on Soundcloud
- Episode 21 of The Daily Helping with Julie Reisler
- Get your Personal Helping at thedailyhelping.com/personal-helping
The Daily Helping is produced by Podcast Masters